Burn Fat, Not Carbs. Learn About the Ketogenic Diet to Lose Weight
Forest City Fitness Explains How
Burning fat is a constant battle. However, it is important to remember that to burn fat effectively, you need reduce calories gradually. If you cut down on calories sharply, your body will slow down its metabolism and make it harder to burn fat. One way to lose body fat without slowing down your metabolism is by varying your caloric intake; don’t eat the same portions of food every day. Another way is by following the Ketogenic diet.
What is Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet that has taken the world by storm. It works by forcing your body into a fat-burning state by using body fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. You need to follow a diet that is high in fat, moderate in protein and low in carbs. By breaking down these macronutrients in this order, you can change how your body uses up energy.
How to Burn Fat Instead of Carbs with a “Keto” Diet
- Your body uses insulin to convert carbs into glucose to produce energy.
- If your diet is high in carbs, your body first burns the glucose in the carbs to produce energy before it burns the fat.
- With a Keto Diet, you bring down your carb intake. As glucose levels slow down, your body goes into a state of “ketosis,” burning the fat instead of carbs, to produce fuel.
- Your liver then converts fatty acids into “ketone” that becomes your prime energy source. As your intake of fatty acids increase, your body becomes more adept at burning fat.
- Burning fat for fuel is not unnatural for your body. This is how it functions when your body is deprived of food. Using the same function, the keto diet focuses on depriving your body of carbs and encouraging your body to go into fat-burning mode, without depriving you of nutrition.
How Does Fat Make You Lose Weight?
New studies show that fats are not really at fault for the extra kilos. It’s the extra carbs from refined and processed foods that increase insulin and blood sugar levels that cause inflammation in your body. A low-carb diet reduces inflammation. Saturated fats are not harmful either. They improve good cholesterol and decrease bad triglycerides, thus lowering the risk of heart disease.
4 Types of Ketogenic Diet
Ketogenic Diets are of four types, focusing on different approaches of fat vs carb intake. Simply select the one that works best for you.
- Standard Keto Diet (SKD): This is the most popular where you take about 20-50 gms of carbs a day, moderate protein and high fat.
- Targeted Keto Diet (TKD): Eat about 25-50 gms of carbs or less, about half an hour or an hour before you exercise.
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): True to its name, this diet has a cycle. First you eat a low carb diet for several days in a row. Then you eat a high carb diet for several days.
- High Protein Keto Diet: You increase your protein intake in this one.
Get on a Keto Diet and Exercise Program at Forest City Fitness
A low carb keto diet can lower your weight, cholesterol and glucose levels, improve insulin resistance, and lower the risk for diabetes and heart disease. It can prevent seizures, slow down tumour growth and improve endurance levels and metabolic functions.
Forest City Fitness, a London Ontario Gym and Fitness Club, welcomes everyone looking to improve their fitness levels with a fun, friendly approach. Talk to us about your health goals or any queries on the keto diet and exercise program. We will help you reach all of your goals! Call us today to learn more.